VCU School of Pharmacy alumnus Ron Davis (B.S. ’73) was installed as 2013-14 president of the Virginia Pharmacists Association during its 132nd Annual Convention in Virginia Beach. Holly Morris (B.S. ’95) assumed her position as secretary-treasurer.
To salute Dean Victor Yanchick on his upcoming retirement, Davis raised a toast during the school’s alumni reception at Orion’s Roof. Yanchick, in turn, shared stories from his nearly 18 years at the school.
2012-13 VPhA President Kurt Bell (B.S. ‘95) presided over the VPhA general meeting, and Executive Director Tim Musselman delivered a legislative and association update.
Sseveral School of Pharmacy alumni received 2013 VPhA awards during the convention:
- Henry Addington (B.S. ’51): Addington Medal for Excellence in Independent Community Pharmacy. To learn more about the Addington Medal, click here.
- Toni Coe (Pharm.D. ’09, SOP Ph.D. student): Pharmacists Mutual Co. Distinguished Young Pharmacist Award
- Sharon Gatewood (Pharm.D. ’02, SOP assistant professor): Ed D. Spearbeck VPhA Service Award
- Johnny Moore (B.S. ’71): VPhA Outstanding Pharmacist Award
- Michelle Herbert Thomas (B.S. ’90, resident): Excellence in Innovation Award
Virginia Dels. Chris Peace and John O’Bannon received the VPhA Award of Merit, which recognizes nonpharmacists for help and assistance to the profession of pharmacy. Peace was recognized as patron of budget language paving the way for cost-saving MTM health care benefits for state employees during the Virginia General Assembly’s 2012 session. O’Bannon was recognized for sponsoring House Bill 1501 during the 2013 assembly session, working to make collaborative practice agreements easier for physicians and pharmacists and expanding what pharmacists can do within those agreements.
To see a photo album from VPhA’s 132nd Annual Convention, click here.